Sunday, February 5, 2012

Back to the First Grade



Last week I had the opportunity to observe a class at the Newbridge Road School. Part of my requirement for this semester is to complete 60 hours of observation in addition to 2 lesson plans. I need 30 hours for childhood 1-6 and 30 hours for TESOL (ESL). I usually have worked with older students, high school students, so it was totally different to be back in the 1st grade. I enjoyed it but it will definitely take some adjustment time if I do happen to work with 1st graders. My next 30 observation hours will be at the same school and will take place in the TESOL department. I am excited to work with English Language Learners.

Word Bank
Observe – To watch or see
Requirement – Something that must be done
Semester – A time period in school that last a few months
Complete – To finish
Usually – Something that happens most of the time
Adjustment – Having to make a change with something
Department – An area

Using the word bank listed above, fill in the sentences with the correct word.

In order to start college, it is a __________ to finish high school.
During the spring ___________ at Molloy, I am only taking one class.
Macy’s is a very big ____________ store.
In order to learn, some people can sit and _______ while others must become more involved.
Yesterday I wore shorts thinking it was hot, but when it was very cold I had to make an ________.
I am _______ very good at guessing the weather but yesterday I was wrong.
What year will you _______ high school?

Grammar: Synonyms
There are many words that can be used to describe something, but they basically all mean the same thing.  For example, if somebody described a cold day he or she could say it was frigid or freezing. Although it is two different words, the meaning is the same. Using the words below in column A, match the synonym in column B to the correct word.

Column A                                                                                 Column B
Observe                                                                                    Fix
Requirement                                                                              Section
Semester                                                                                   Look
Usually                                                                                      Period
Adjustment                                                                                Necessary
Department                                                                                Mostly 

2 comments:

  1. Excellent entry! You are off to a good start. I especially like the cloze and synonym activities.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know exactly how you feel! Although I haven't done my 60 hour (1/2 having to be done in an elementary school) yet, I had to do a unit plan recently for 3rd grade. It was SO difficult for me to think on a 3rd grade level and not a 9th grade level. I know if I happen to get a job in that area, it will definitely take some time for me to adjust as well!!

    ReplyDelete