Thursday, April 19, 2012

Here's to the summer of 2012



Hayward Field, the site of the Track and Field Olympic Trials held in Eugene, Oregon.

Two years ago, I probably had the most amazing summer of my life. I accomplished many things that summer but still managed to have fun doing what I wanted. That summer I grew very close with three friends and we did  a lot that summer. We took two mini road trips as well as a lot of entertaining things locally. As great as that summer was, I have a feeling that this summer will be even better and here's a few reasons to help explain.
In the middle of June my brother will be getting married. I had a great time at his engagement party and can only guess that his wedding will be better. As a track coach and fan of the sport of track and field, the Olympics is the highest level you can get in the sport. The Olympic Trials will be showcased in Eugene, Oregon and I will be going there with two of my friends. The entire trip will last for about two weeks and it will kickoff the summer of 2012. Four years ago I lived in Eugene, so it will be fun for me to go back home.


Word Bank
Accomplished - Completed, finished
Managed - To handle or direct something
Entertaining- Something fun
Locally - Nearby; your current area or neighborhood
Engagement - An arrangement, usually with marriage
Showcased - To display something
Entire - All of something
Kickoff - To jump start or being




Using the word bank listed above, fill in the sentences with the correct word.
__________ there are 12 new restaurants near my house that I would like to try.
By the summer of 2014 I hope to have ________ the task  of earning my teaching degree.
When I receive my diploma, it will be __________ in a beautiful looking case. 
In (American) football, the game starts by having one team ___________ to the other team.
I can't believe you ate the __________ chocolate cake!
My brother's _________ took place in December of 2011.
Although running may be boring, watching track and field is very  __________ to me.
Yesterday I _______ to do all my school work before lunch. 

Grammar: Antonyms
Antonyms is a fancy way of saying opposites. Using the words in Column A, use them to match the antonyms listed in Column B. For example, if the word HOT is listed in Column A then it will match with the word COLD listed in Column B because these words are opposites.

Column A                                                                                Column B
Accomplished                                                                           Finale               

Managed                                                                                  Partial        
Entertaining                                                                               Hide          
Locally                                                                                     Far   
Engagement                                                                              Boring            
Showcased                                                                               Separate          
Entire                                                                                        Failure  
Kickoff                                                                                     Misguide   






1 comment:

  1. I'm so excited for this summer!! Free time, new movies, fun in the Sun, and of course the Olympics!! I'm waiting to see if London will blow us away with an extraordinary Opening Ceremony as China did. Only time will tell :)

    ReplyDelete