Thursday, April 19, 2012

Wrestling - my guilty pleasure

We meet Shawn Michaels at the airport in Texas.


Okay, I know everybody (or all five people who read this) must be thinking wrestling is fake and how can I watch it? Well it's not fake, the outcome of each match is pre-determined; there is a difference. The wrestlers actually get hit with  moves but it's obviously not with the type of force that it is intended to have. When I was younger I was obsessed with wrestling; I had wrestling sheets, curtains, blankets, and many different wrestling toys. Since then I have matured and I got rid of some of the wrestling toys. In 2005 I met a wrestler at an airport and little by little I started watching wrestling again. Every Monday night a small group of friends all meet up to watch. It is extremely entertaining and secretly, I think we all want to be wrestlers. Over the past year I have attended two different wrestling events and this June I will witness another one.

Word Bank
Outcome - The end result
Pre-determined -  When the future of something is decided before it actually happens
Obviously - Something that is very clear and apparent
Intended - To have in mind; aimed at something or somebody
Obsessed -  To be in awe of something but to the highest degree
Extremely - A high degree of very
Attended - Went to
Witness - Watch or see

Vocabulary Exercise: 
There are eight sentences listed below that explain each vocabulary word listed above. The sentence will not include the vocabulary word, but it will help explain what each word means. Your task is  to write the vocabulary word next to each sentence in order to show what each sentence means.

The Giants lost to the Raiders by a score of 24-17. _______________________
The quarterback attempted to throw the ball to his receiver but the defense made an interception and then scored a touchdown. ______________ 
Many people believe horse racing is not a true sport because you know who will win before the race even starts. ______________
That boy has such a crush on the girl that he bought her 100 roses. _____________________
It was more then just hot today, it was 113 degrees outside! __________________
I graduated from Valley Stream South High School in 2001. ________________________
My cousin saw the robber escape the store after taking all the money. ___________________
It snowed two feet last night meaning we will not have school today. _____________________

Grammar Assignment
Wrestling is a sport that I watch almost every week. Is there a sport that watch all the time? If not, is there another activity that you do all the time? I meet my friends every Monday night to watch, when do you watch your sport or participate in your activity? Write one paragraph about your activity and be sure to include how long you have been doing it for as well as any other important details.

3 comments:

  1. I don't watch any sport regularly, though wen I was an undergrad at SUNY Oswego, I became a hockey fan. I am, however, looking forward to the Olympics, though I prefer the Winter Games.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to wrestle with my boy cousins when I was younger! I was a bit of a "Tom-boy." So, I agree with you in saying that we all want to be wrestlers. oh and by the way, cool picture with Shawn Michaels, I used to looooove him!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shawn Michaels def brought me back into wrestling, I used to hate him growing up because he was a "bad guy" but ever since I met him I'm a big fan.

      Delete