Thursday, April 19, 2012

The Cougar Invite is BACK!!


Last Thursday at JFK Bellmore High School, the boys and girls track team hosted a big invitational. There were 26 teams total that competed consisting of boys and girls. The last time the school hosted a meet was in the spring of 2006. We had a concession stand available as well as an area for people to sell t-shirts. The shirts were gray with a logo printed in the middle (logo is seen pictured above). The meet earned a reputation of being a medal galore meet. Although the weather was beautiful, there were many gusts of gale force wind. That's the tricky part about being at a school right near the water.

Word Bank
Hosted - To entertain people/teams
Consisting - Made up of
Concession stand -  Area where food and/or drinks can be sold
Earned - Something gained based on previous actions
Reputation - How something is seen or believed to be
Galore - Having many or a lot of something
Gale - Strong force



Vocabulary Exercise: 

Using the word bank listed above, fill in the sentences with the correct word.
Last year for my birthday, I _________ a big party with over 100 people.
Since there were so many people, the party ________ the name the Century Crowd.
My birthday cake was __________ of chocolate filling.
The cake was from Stella's Bakery which has the __________ of being the best bakery in New York.
I walked to my car yesterday and I almost was blown away in the _____ force winds.
They had to move the ______________ stand inside because it started to rain.
It was pigeon _______ in Central Park yesterday. 


 Free writing activity
As the person in charge for everything relating to the track meet, I was the meet director and definitely had a lot of tasks. As I spent weeks planning for this event, I realized that it was similar to planning a party. I had a list of invited teams, some teams told me they were coming while others didn't. Have you ever planned a party before? Have you ever been to a party before? In one paragraph, describe the tasks needed to be completed in order to have a successful party. A guest list and RSVP date are two ideas that I mentioned that can help you start. Good luck and be creative!!

No comments:

Post a Comment